Monday, September 8, 2014

Moonlit Swims in September



The beauty of North Idaho astounds me. After a glorious summer full of hot days and fun filled nights, the region outdoes itself in the month of September.

During the years we raised our children in the city of Coeur d' Alene, we spent many happy days on Sander's Beach. When the school year began, the beach became empty except for a few happy Mom's who would go down to enjoy some solitude and peace. We are blessed here in North Idaho with a full month of lovely weather where the lake remains warm. Gone are the summer folks, and the lake is now incredibly quiet.

Last night we took a boat ride, enjoying the setting sun and the rising moon. Jumping in for a swim in the fading light, I felt full of glee. I thought about the month of September, and how beautiful it is in many places in the world.

September is a month full of vim and vigor. I still get excited over the idea of fall fashions, new pens and notebooks, of getting down to brass tacks, of starting new projects, but I also have my remaining dock days to cherish. I took full advantage today. The water is seventy- four degrees which enabled me to swim to the next dock via a long slow crawl stroke. As I swung my head to inhale, I faced an unbroken shoreline. In the distance I heard the sound of a boat engine. It amazed me how easily I recalled the sound. Having grown up around antique boats in Muskoka, Ontario, I remembered the put,put, put, the steady drone of a steam engine.  Scanning the horizon, I saw it- a gorgeous little craft from circa 1915, with white sides and striped canopy.

I thought about movies, books, and ideas centered around September. Is it a great time to clean closets, make dentist appointments and trim our hedges? Yes, it is, but for me, it is a time to linger, a time to get in my kayak and revel in the remaining heat, a time to savor each crisp morning and every bright sunset. It is a time to bask in all the region has to offer. North Idaho is never more beautiful than it is right now.

From Tom Jones:

"Try To Remember"

Try to remember the kind of September
when life was slow and oh, so mellow.
Try to remember the kind of September
when grass was green and grain was yellow.
Try to remember the kind of September
when you were a tender and callow fellow,
Try to remember and if you remember the follow.

Try to remember when life was so tender
that no one wept except the willow.
Try to remember when life was so tender that
dreams were kept beside your pillow.
Try to remember when life was so tender that
love was an ember about to billow.
Try to remember and if you remember then follow.

Deep in December it's nice to remember
although you know the snow will follow.
Deep in December it's nice to remember
without the hurt the heart is hollow.
Deep in December it's nice to remember
the fire of September that made us mellow.
Deep in December our hearts should remember and follow.


2 comments:

Carey said...

Oh yes, we are indeed lucky here in North Idaho!

Elizabeth Smythe Brinton said...

Agreed.