Friday, April 8, 2011

Writing, North Idaho and Poetry Forums

This is my first week writing as contributor for Writing North Idaho , I'm so pleased to be here, but am still learning my way around the blog, and and trying to find what readers might be interested in. A simple answer is writers and writing, and in particular, writers and writing in north Idaho. At a workshop I attended last year, the guest speaker told the audience, "If you write on a subject you're interested in, it's very likely someone else will be interested, too." I think that's probably true.

North Idaho has such a beautifully diverse landscape, writers are often inspired to find just the right word to describe its grandeur; to write a picture, if you will.


Powder blue skies,
deep blue lakes, crystal
clear air, and white
capped mountains -
a million evergreen trees
decorate the slopes, like first earth;
Nature's best, the land of Idaho


Also important to Writing North Idaho is relaying information about writers forums, events and book signings. Because April is National Poetry Month, my hope for this post was to include libraries, coffee houses and bookstores that were showcasing poetry readings, talks or forums to highlight northwest poets. Alas, I couldn't find any. My challenge to you, dear reader, is to seek out, and request the book stores, coffee houses and libraries you visit to present programs about northwest poetry and poet; not to let the poets prose die, and be lost to the long ago.

I did come across a couple good internet sites dedicated to poetry in Idaho. They are listed here - http://www.poets.org/state.php/varState/ID and http://idahopoetry.com/

To read more of my blogs please visit 2 lane highway at http://2lanehighway.blogspot.com
















.

3 comments:

Norm de Ploom said...

Excellent first week, Kathy! We love having you join us as a regular contributor. Your insight and good writing are real treats. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Poetry is still a mystery for me so I learn from your blogs.

Jessie at Blog Schmog said...

Uh oh, poetry. Now that's not something I am confident at although I do have some on my blog. I labeled it "partially pathetic poetry". I didn't want anyone to think I claim to be a poet. Ha!

Thanks for your post. I'll be excited to learn more from you.

Kathy Cooney Dobbs said...

Jessie, I don't think there's any right or wrong way to write poetry, but there are some techniques and tricks to help make the poem better; Image, language,rhythm & rhyme. I look forward to reading some of your poems.. Don't be discouraged ! Please persevere.