This post deals with the more obscure ways to enhance your writing skills.
1. Shift focus off yourself and on to your target audience.
What does the reader want from you?
B. Education---to learn something about a subject?
(1.) an "Aha!" moment
(2.) spiritual growth
2. Write with enthusiasm derived from
C. Spiritual beliefs
D. Personal contacts
E. Respect for: people, history, animals, physical sciences, fine arts,
inventions, travel, or psychology
3. KISS---keep it simple sweetheart. Crisp, clear, simple writing conveys your
meaning but doesn't call attention to itself.
A. Read each one of your sentences. Can I say it using fewer words or
better choices of words that will appeal to all your readers?
"I washed the dog using a non-aromatic, dye free, low sudsing, mild
soap in "Goldilocks temperature" (not hot nor cold, just right degree of
warmth so not to frighten him) and in a low PABA, plastic pan."
"I shampooed my dog using a non-irritating soap and tepid water."
4. Be honest. Opinions show in your writing. Your words tell others about you and what your think. If you want the reader to believe you, you must be truthful.
5. Use a thesaurus frequently. It takes the boredom out of your sentences and allows you to say precisely what you mean. It helps you to use words correctly.